Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Seed Starting Pt 1: Annual Ornamentals

Even though we are still feeling frigid up here in the Northeast, last week I began my first seeds for spring. YAY!

First off, let's talk ornamentals. For the past couple of years I have been pretty diligent with my window boxes and the general curb appeal of my front yard. The beds are all perennials and are more or less established at this point, but I always end up pouring way more money than I want to into annuals for the window boxes. So, this year, I'm trying my hand at starting all my window box plants from seed. Since I usually make all my window box planting decisions last minute at the nursery (no matter how I try to plan, I always change my mind), I am going for breadth of selection in what I am trying to grow. I'm hoping at least a few plants will make it outside, and if I end up filling in with a few store bought specimens, well, it's better than nothing.

I basically just picked a random smattering from Park Seed, based on a random website that mentioned good window box varieties. So here's what I have going for that project:



1. Lobelia Fountain White
2. Lobelia 'Fountain Blue'
3. Verbena Imagination
4. Pansy Park's Whopper White
5. Pansy Flirty Skirts Burgundy
6. Pansy 'Flirty Skirts Blue'
7. California Poppy 'Wrinkled Rose'
8. Bacopa Blutopia
9. Impatiens 'Athena Mix'
10. Petunia Celebrity Mix
11. Nasturtium (leftover from 2009, I forget the variety but they are bright red)
12. Marigolds (also leftover from last year)

Of these, everything is now sprouting except for the Verbena and one of the Pansies. I have hope the Pansies will come along like their brethren, but apparently Verbena is difficult and likes to germinate in total darkness. Well, now that most everything is sprouting, I've gone ahead and stuck the tray under a light. The verbena will just have to deal. No fussy plants allowed!

No comments:

Post a Comment