Friday, March 12, 2010

A Big Block Quilt

Since I am notorious for starting a project and never finishing it, I decided to take a preemptive strike against this tendancy and make my first quilting project a "quick" one. I bought an interesting layer cake (Twiggy by Sanae for Moda), cut most of the squares into triangle halves, and layed them out to create this marvelously simple pattern (modeled after a quilt I saw online somewhere).


A few days ago I finished piecing all of it together, and last night I added a "natural" color border. I'm not sure it's actually square, but I think it's pretty close!

Next up is piecing the backing fabric (basic brown) and making the quilt sandwich. I have some medium loft batting waiting in the wings, I only hope it is the right size. One of the pitfalls of not using a pattern and being too hasty to actually plan it out is that I don't even know what finished size I am looking at here. If I recall correctly from cutting the border last night, I believe it's around 75" square.... so, queen-ish I guess?

After that it's on to the actual quilting, of which I am terrified! I only have a wee little shark sewing machine from Target, I am pretty sure I don't have the patience to do it by hand, and taking it to someone else to quilt seems like a cop out... what's a girl to do? If anyone has any tips, please please please give em up!

Anyway, I think this is going to be my summer picnic/lay-in-the-sun-and-snooze blanket and that vision is spurring me on. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment